Acton fire prompts firefighters’ advice about incense and candles

Image above: incense stick

Firefighters have issued advice on using incense and candles safely after a fire at a house converted into flats on Burlington Gardens in Acton.

Part of a five-roomed flat on the second floor of the building was damaged by a fire apparently caused by unattended burning incense sticks.

The Fire Brigade’s 999 control officers received seven calls concerning the fire. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Hammersmith fire stations attended the scene. Nobody was injured.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:

“Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire. It is really important that you never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture or clothes.

“These items should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over, and make sure you put them out entirely when you leave the room and especially before bed.”

Firefighters’ top candle and incense safety tips

  • Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.
  • Place candles, incense and oil burners in heat-resistant holders and place them on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.
  • Keep them away from materials that might catch fire – things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.
  • Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath.

Read more stories on The Chiswick Calendar

See also: All you might want to know about Covid in our area – Kelly O’Neill, Director of Public Health for Hounslow

See also: Christmas impact – Covid cases up by nearly 50% in Chiswick 

Support The Chiswick Calendar

The Chiswick Calendar CIC is a community resource. Please support us by buying us the equivalent of a monthly cup of coffee (or more, if you insist). Click here to support us.

We publish a weekly newsletter and update the website with local news and information daily. We are editorially independent.

To subscribe to the weekly newsletter, go here.