Image above: Chiswick Cheese Market; photograph Jennifer Griffiths
The Chiswick Cheese Market, due to be held on Sunday 20 February has been cancelled because of the weather.
Organiser Lucy Cufflin said they had been keeping an eye on the progress of storm Eunice and were planning to make a decision at 4pm on Friday as to whether the market would go ahead. In the event, the decision was made for them, as Hounslow Council rang to say they were banning all outside events this weekend.
“We are really disappointed because we were full with 36 stall holders and we’re looking forward to seeing our regulars and some fabulous newcomers” she said, “but obviously we understand.
“It’s disappointing for our customers and for our traders, who often make special cheeses and special batches and they will lose out.”
Image above: Duck Pond Market; photograph Joanna Raikes
Duck Pond market goes ahead Saturday
The Duck Pond market in the grounds of Chiswick House is going ahead as usual. A notice on their website said:
‘Due to inclement weather and stallholder numbers we will not be opening Richmond or Chalfont market this Saturday. They are too exposed! We WILL be opening Chiswick on Saturday as we are in a more protected courtyard on hard ground.’
Image above: Food Market, Chiswick, Dukes Meadows
Food market to go ahead at Dukes Meadows on Sunday
Kathleen Healy, organiser of the Food Market Chiswick, confirmed that it would also be going ahead as usual from 10am to 2pm at Riverside Drive in Dukes Meadows. The forecast for that time is dry and 17 – 19 knot wind. Strong winds are forecast later in the day.
19-24 Mph 29-38 kph 17-21 knots Fresh Breeze Small trees sway. White crested wavelets (whitecaps) form, some spray. 25-31 Mph 39-49 kph 22-27 knots Strong Breeze Large tree branches move, telephone wires begin to “whistle”, umbrellas are difficult to keep under control.
“The question is, is it safe to go ahead, which is a risk assessment” Kathleen told The Chiswick Calendar.
“High winds aren’t forecast until 4, by when stalls will have packed up and gone and we’ve checked the area for storm damage and there is none that has made the area unsafe. We will continue to check weather forecasts and respond accordingly if it changes.”
Read more stories on The Chiswick Calendar
See all the latest stories: Chiswick Calendar News & Features
Support The Chiswick Calendar
The Chiswick Calendar CIC is a community resource. Please support us by buying us the equivalent of a monthly cup of coffee (or more, if you insist). Click here to support us.
We publish a weekly newsletter and update the website with local news and information daily. We are editorially independent.
To subscribe to the weekly newsletter, go here.