Firefighters issue warning after house fire in Chiswick

Image above: firefighters at the scene on Stile Hall Gardens

Direct sunlight caused ‘smouldering fire’ in Chiswick house

Firefighters have issued a warning about the dangers of fires caused by direct sunlight after a fire at a house house on Stile Hall Gardens on Tuesday (14 June).

There was a small smouldering fire in the bathroom of the house which was extinguished before firefighters arrived. Crews rescued a man from the first floor of the building who was assessed on scene by London Ambulance Service crews.

The London Fire Brigade’s 999 Control Officers gave fire survival guidance to residents affected by thick smoke on how to stay safe before firefighters arrived. The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by sunlight.

The Brigade was called incident had was over by 8.20pm. Two fire engines from Chiswick and Acton fire stations attended the scene.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:

“These sorts of fires are not as rare as you would think. They can happen all year around, but as we head into summer and the sun gets stronger, it’s really important that reflective items such as mirrors, crystals and glass ornaments are kept out of direct sunlight.”

Read more stories on The Chiswick Calendar

See also: South Western Railway urge people to change travel dates to avoid strikes

See also: TfL confirms further road closures near Kew Bridge

See all the latest stories: Chiswick Calendar News & Features

Support The Chiswick Calendar

The Chiswick Calendar CIC is a community resource. Please support us by buying us the equivalent of a monthly cup of coffee (or more, if you insist). Click here to support us.

We publish a weekly newsletter and update the website with local news and information daily. We are editorially independent.

To subscribe to the weekly newsletter, go here.