Hammersmith school closed after three day stand-off with man on roof

Image above: Man on roof at Sacred Heart High School

School closed since Tuesday expected to reopen after man comes down

A school in Hammersmith has been closed since Tuesday (18 June) after a police stand-off with a man on the roof. The incident began on Monday when police were called at 9.20pm to reports of a man on the roof of the main school building at Sacred Heart School.

The stand-off lasted for three days before the man came down yesterday evening (Thursday 20 June). All classes were moved to online learning while police negotiated with the man.

Sacred Heart is a Catholic comprehensive school for girls aged 11 to 18, with more than 1100 students. They said in an update issued on their website at 9.40pm:

‘We are pleased to confirm that the trespasser on site has been safely removed and school will be open as normal tomorrow.’

Image above: Sacred Heart School (Google)

Headteacher says “Safeguarding of students has been my priority”

A letter to parents from headteacher Mrs S O’Donovan, said:

‘On Monday night a man with mental health difficulties climbed up and onto one part of the roof of our main building.

‘The police contained the situation early on but as I send this letter out the situation is not yet resolved. Specialist negotiators have been on site throughout the day.

‘The police assured me that the separate and completely self-contained Calder Building was safe and secure to use for public exams this morning and senior staff were on hand to direct students into that building only. No student had access to the main building.

‘The police then wanted to attempt a further strategy to remove the intruder from the school. I insisted that this strategy could not take place until all students were off site. Throughout this incident the safeguarding of students has been my priority.’

As photographs of the man on the roof were shared on social media, the incident attracted a collection of onlookers taking pictures. The situation has now been resolved and the school is back at work.