Iran International journalist stabbed outside London home

Image above: Iran International journalist Pouria Zeraati in hospital

Counter-terrorism police launch investigation after stabbing

A journalist working for Iran International TV has been stabbed outside his home in south-west London. The attack is being investigated by Counter Terrorism police.

Pouria Zeraati was attacked outside his home in Wimbledon Friday afternoon, (29 March) reportedly by several men, who fled in a car after knifing him.

The Metropolitan Police said they were called at 2.49pm and that the victim, in his 30s, suffered an injury to his leg.

A neighbour told the Evening Standard the attackers were “laughing” as they fled the scene.

Journalists working for Iran International were targeted when the TV company was based in Chiswick Business Park. They report independently what is happening inside Iran and for that they have been labelled as enemies of the Iranian state.

Chiswick Business Park had to be guarded by armed police and extra security, including road blocks, were added to the site until Iran International moved elsewhere, as they were subject to the  continuous threat of terrorist attacks.

No one has been arrested yet for the attack on Pouria Zeraati.

“Thankfully his condition is not believed to be life-threatening and he is in a stable condition,” the Met Police said.

“However, due to the victim’s occupation…coupled with the fact that there has been a number of threats directed towards this group of journalists in recent times, the incident is being investigated by specialist officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command.”

Above: Post on X by Pouria in Hospital

Met stress attackers’ motive not known

Met Commander Dominic Murphy, Head of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, said:

“While we are keeping an open mind, given the occupation of the victim and our publicised concerns about the threat to employees of that organisation, the investigation is being led by the Counter Terrorism Command.

“I must stress that, at this early stage of our investigation, we do not know the reason why this victim was attacked and there could be a number of explanations for this.

“While we continue to assess the circumstances of this incident, detectives are following a number of lines of enquiry and our priority at this time is to try and identify whoever was behind this attack and to arrest them.”

Former BBC journalist Sima Sabet advised by Met Police not to stay at her home

Another Iranian journalist, Sima Sabet, who used to work for the BBC’s World Service, posted on X (Twitter) that she had been advised by the Metropolitan Police’s Counter-Terrorism Unit to leave her home following the attack on Pouria Zeraati.

‘The Metropolitan Police’s Counter-Terrorism Unit @metpoliceuk last night urged me to immediately leave my residence following a knife attack on @pouriazeraati , and stay elsewhere until further notice’ she wrote.

‘Last year, the Revolutionary Guards attempted to assassinate me and my former colleague @FardadFarahzad. They had detailed information about our residences and movements.

‘A Western security service provided @itvnews with audio and video files in which a Quds Force commander ordered an individual to kill me and Farahzad with knife. Their plan to assassinate us was exposed and failed. Nonetheless, yesterday Pouria Zeraati was attacked with a knife in London.’

Sima wrote that the Counter Terrorism Police had been in constant contact with her over the past few months, for which she was grateful, but she criticised the British Government for not taking ‘sufficient, meaningful, decisive, and effective political action against the terrorism of the Iranian government.

‘London is our home. Britain must be a safe place for journalists across all media, and unsafe for extremists and terrorists receiving orders from Tehran. Our voice will not be silenced by threat and terrorism. Journalism is not a crime; state terrorism is. Stop it.’

Read more stories on The Chiswick Calendar