Man who brutally murdered ex-girlfriend in South Ealing convicted

Image above: Dennis Akpomedaye; Photograph Metropolitan Police

A man who killed his former girlfriend in a brutal knife attack in South Ealing has been convicted of murder.

Anna Jedrkowiak died after being found with multiple stab injuries in Roberts Alley, off Church Gardens, just after midnight on Tuesday 17 May 2022.

The 21-year-old, who was known to friends and family as Ania, had finished work at a restaurant in Ealing and was walking home with a friend when she was victim to the premeditated attack by her former boyfriend Dennis Akpomedaye.

Akpomedaye was arrested within 22 hours of her murder as a result of CCTV footage which enabled police to track his movements, leading to recovery of evidence and DNA.

The investigation, led by the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, resulted in his arrest at Victoria coach station.

After his arrest, further investigation also brought to light Akpomedaye’s obsessive nature and revealed a man who was in debt, without a job and unable to accept the end of a relationship.

Image above: Anna Jedrkowiak, Anna’s (Ania’s) friends attend a vigil for her during the trial; Photographs Metropolitan Police

Akpomedaye stalked Anna prior to her murder

A post-mortem examination carried out on Thursday 19 May confirmed Anna died from multiple stab injuries.

Akpomedaye had travelled from his home in Newport, arriving by coach at Victoria on the evening of 15 May. He travelled by tube to Ealing and from there he went straight to the restaurant where Anna worked. She was not at work that evening, and Akpomedaye could be seen in CCTV footage pacing back and forth in front of the restaurant with his hood up and his face covered by a scarf.

That same evening, detectives were able to show via telephone records that Akpomedaye had connected to telephone masts in the vicinity of Anna’s address, supporting CCTV evidence that from her place of work, he went straight to her home in Stirling Place, W5.

CCTV also showed that Akpomedaye retuned again to her place of work and then spent much of the following hours riding buses in the Ealing area.

The following day, Monday 16 May, Anna arrived for her restaurant shift just before 5.00pm. Akpomedaye reached Ealing Broadway station around an hour later. Just before 8.00pm he bought a knife for £4.99 from a local shop on New Broadway and was captured on CCTV, again pacing back and forth in the area near to the Anna’s place of work.

Images above: The murder weapon and other evidence was found by the Round Pond in Gunnersbury Park, Photographs Met Police

Akpomedaye to be sentenced on 31 May

Anna left work with her friend at 11.40pm and it was shortly after this that they were seen being followed by Akpomedaye, wearing a balaclava. He came towards them with the knife and fatally attacked Anna, before running from the scene.

CCTV and telephone records were then key to placing Akpomedaye near to the scene and locating the murder weapon in Round Pond in Gunnersbury Park on Wednesday, 18 May. The knife was forensically examined and found to have bloodstains which were later matched to Akpomedaye and Anna. Also found in the pond were items including two mobile phones belonging to Anna and Akpomedaye. A photograph frame with a picture of them together was also found.

Further CCTV investigation captured the moment at on Tuesday 17 May when Akpomedaye approached an ambulance driver who had stopped at a petrol garage close to Gunnersbury Park.

He asked for help with an open wound to his fingers, which he said had been caused by a pitbull dog. Akpomedaye was referred that day to a hospital in London and CCTV showed him on a bus without the black rucksack that he had been carrying prior to the murder. This was later recovered by TfL’s lost property department and gave the forensic team the chance to match bloodstains to Akpomedaye. Inside the bag was the receipt for the murder weapon.

He was arrested at 9.50pm at Victoria coach station on Tuesday 17 May, and further forensic examinations discovered DNA matches to Anna on his right shoe.

Dennis Akpomedaye, 29, of Blewitt Street, Newport, was charged on the evening of Wednesday, 18 May 2022. He stood trial at Kingston Crown Court and was found guilty on Thursday, 25 May.

He will be sentenced at the same court on Wednesday, 31 May.

Image above: Police at the scene in South Ealing on the morning of the murder

Akpomedaye “cowardly but extremely dangerous” man, says Met Chief

Detective Chief Inspector Brian Howie, the senior investigating officer, said:

 “Anna’s life was taken by someone who is cowardly but extremely dangerous.

“Anna was scared of him and attempted to end the relationship. When she did this, he said to her “We will be together no matter what … I will find you”.

“She had moved away to start what should have been an exciting new life in London but now will never be able to fulfil that promise, and her family will never see her again.

“It was moving that so many of her family, university and work friends attended a vigil in her honour during the trial.

“My thoughts and sympathies remain with the family and friends of Anna, both in the UK and in Poland, who will never get over the tragic circumstances surrounding her death.

“Even in the context of a murder investigation, the ferocity with which she was attacked was extreme, and this individual belongs in prison where he cannot harm another woman.”