Rechargeable battery sparks flat fire in Acton

Firefighters have issued a warning about using rechargeable batteries after a flat caught fire in Acton.

An accidental fire caused by a lithium-ion battery damaged half of a four-roomed flat on the third floor of a residential block on Warple Way, Southfield. There were no reports of any injuries and one man left the building before the London Fire Brigade arrived.

The Brigade’s 999 Control Officers took 24 calls to the blaze, the first at 6.09am on Sunday morning (13 February). The fire was under control by 7.24am, with fire crews from Acton, North Kensington, Chiswick and Park Royal fire stations attending the scene.

Firefighters’ battery safety tips

A London Fire Brigade (LFB) spokesperson said:

“Batteries can present a fire risk if they’re over-charged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it’s really important to protect them against being damaged and charge them safely.

“Unplug devices once they have finished charging and always make sure you use the right charger for your device.”

To help prevent accidental fires, the LFB recommend to always use the charger that came with your device. If you need to buy a replacement, always choose a branded, genuine product from a supplier you can trust as there are a lot of fake devices in circulation.

Battery users should also avoid storing, using or charging batteries at very high or low temperatures and protect said batteries against being damaged in any way, such as being crushed, punctured, or immersed in water.

Read more stories on The Chiswick Calendar

See also: Months of ‘transport misery’ look likely as more Tube strikes announced

See also: Acton Town fire disrupts Tube services

See all the latest stories: Chiswick Calendar News & Features

Support The Chiswick Calendar

The Chiswick Calendar CIC is a community resource. Please support us by buying us the equivalent of a monthly cup of coffee (or more, if you insist). Click here to support us.

We publish a weekly newsletter and update the website with local news and information daily. We are editorially independent.

To subscribe to the weekly newsletter, go here.