Suspected carbon monoxide leak hospitalises three in Acton

Fire engines from Acton and Chiswick fire station respond to suspected leak

Two adults and a child were taken to hospital after a suspected carbon monoxide leak in Acton on Monday (13 October).

Firefighters were called to a house in Bromyard Avenue at 5.27pm and fire engines were sent from Acton and Chiswick fire station as well as two fire rescue units from Wembley and Euston.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used specialist equipment to carry out a sweep of the building and found elevated readings of carbon monoxide.

They declared the incident over by 8.02pm after the fire crews had ensured no elevated readings remained.

Image above: Bromyard Avenue; Google Street View

Fire Brigade stresses importance of fitting a CO alarm.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “You can’t taste, see or smell CO fumes, but it can kill in minutes.

“It’s really important to fit a CO alarm in all rooms containing fuel burning appliances, ensuring that the alarm is able to be heard throughout the property. When sleeping, it’s important that your alarm can wake you if it sounds.

“It’s also a good idea to familiarise yourself with the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and learn what to do if you suspect someone may be affected.”

Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are headaches, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, breathlessness, feeling weak, leading to collapse and loss of consciousness.

According to NHS information on the subject, the most common cause of CO poisoning in homes is poorly installed, faulty or poorly maintained appliances, including gas boilers, gas cookers and clay ovens, gas or paraffin heaters, wood, gas and coal fires and portable generators. Unvented space heaters are a common cause.

If you think a gas appliance is leaking carbon monoxide, call the free National Gas Helpline immediately on 0800 111 999. The service is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.