Two boys arrested after several animals killed at Gunnersbury college

Image above: Capel Manor College

The College has not revealed how many animals were killed

Two boys, aged 11 and 12, have been arrested after several animals were killed at Capel Manor College in Gunnersbury.

On Sunday (25 February), police received a report that ‘several animals had been killed and animal closures had been damaged’.

The environmental college has several sites including this one in the grounds of Gunnersbury Park. They teach a range of courses including agriculture, animal management, arboriculture and forestry and horticulture to different age groups, offering foundation courses, higher education and apprenticeships.

The college confirmed some animals had died and also appealed for help in finding its “much-loved” barn owl Shiraz who is now missing.

A spokesperson for the college put out a brief statement saying the Gunnersbury Park campus “experienced a break-in that resulted in damage to some of the animal areas, and sadly some animals died”.

Images of animals from the college’s website

In a statement, the Met Police said:

“Officers visited the scene and viewed CCTV footage. A forensic examination was also carried out.”

Police say their investigation continues and any witnesses are asked to call 101 quoting CAD 1639/25Feb.

Both boys have been bailed.

Image above: Shiraz the missing barn owl

Hopes to identify Shiraz the owl

The college added Shiraz the owl can be identified by a blue ring on her left ankle.

The college asks if you see her please do not approach her, but call the College’s emergency 24-hour line on 07713 568 110 and call the RSPCA between 7.00am to 10.00pm on 0300 1234 999 to report the sighting.

Teaching was held online on Monday before in-person learning resumed on site on Tuesday.

The college’s website says it specialises environmental teaching, offering young people and adults the opportunity to take care of its estates, gardens, farm and zoos.

Principal Peter Brammall thanked staff “who worked tirelessly over Sunday and Monday to deal with and restore the devastation left by the intruders”.

“Our campus is now back open, student lessons are back on track and the team is working with our partners to bring in new animals over the next few weeks to replace those that were sadly lost,” he said.