Woman injured in Acton flat fire

Firefighters are warning of the dangers of leaving cooking unattended after a flat fire on Friary Road in Acton on the morning of Tuesday 18 May.

Part of a three-roomed flat on the second floor of the building was damaged in the fire. One woman was treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews after suffering from smoke inhalation. The Brigade was called at 9.38 am and it took an hour for firefighters to get it under control. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Acton, Ealing, Chiswick and Hammersmith fire stations attended the scene.

The fire is believed to have been caused by cooking left unattended. It was discovered by a person who returned to the kitchen after cooking breakfast and saw fire coming from a pan on the cooker. They attempted to tackle the fire before leaving the building.

‘Never try to tackle a fire yourself’ says LBF Spokesman

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:

“On arrival crews saw smoke coming from a second-floor window at the front of the building and could hear smoke alarms sounding. Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than in any other room in the home. Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill and if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.

“This is also a reminder to never try to tackle a fire yourself. Leave it to the professionals and call 999 as soon as you become aware of a fire in your home.”

According to the Office for National Statistics, misuse of equipment or appliances is the leading cause for household fires. One thing you should never do it to pour water on a chip pan fire. Here’s what happens if you do:

The London Fire Brigade has issued several other cooking safety tips, including:

  • Have a heat alarm fitted in your kitchen. Fitting a heat alarm in your kitchen will give you warning of an increase in temperature caused by a fire but will not be set off by cooking fumes.
  • Order a takeaway if you’re very tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that might make you drowsy, it’s safer not to risk it.
  • Be fabric aware – loose clothing can easily catch fire, so take care not to lean over a hot hob, and always keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
  • Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you’ve finished cooking.
  • Check toasters are clean and not placed under kitchen cabinets or close to anything that can catch fire.

Read more stories on The Chiswick Calendar

See also: Indian variant in boroughs of Ealing and Hounslow

See also: Venues reopen indoor spaces

Support The Chiswick Calendar

The Chiswick Calendar CIC is a community resource. We publish a weekly newsletter and update the website with local news and information daily. We are editorially independent.

Please support us by buying us the equivalent of a monthly cup of coffee (or more, if you insist).

Click here to support us.

To subscribe to the weekly newsletter, go here.