Fire at shop with flats above – Shepherd’s Bush

Ten fire crews including those from Acton and Richmond attend blaze

Ten fire engines and around 70 firefighters were called to a fire at a shop with flats above on Uxbridge Road in Shepherd’s Bush on Saturday (10 December).

Part of a ground-floor shop and a five-roomed flat on the first floor of the building were alight. A child, a man and two women left the property before the Brigade arrived and were treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews. Firefighters carried out salvage operations in the basement of the property to minimise damage.

The Brigade’s 999 Control Officers took 22 calls to the blaze. Station Commander David Reed, who was at the scene, said:

“The fire was producing heavy smoke in the local area. Residents were advised to keep their windows and doors closed.

“Firefighters used one of the Brigade’s 32-metre turntable ladders as an observation tower and thermal imaging cameras to check for fire spread.

“Uxbridge Road is closed between Devonport Road and Ingersoll Road whilst crews continue to work to make the scene safe. Please avoid the area where possible.”

The Brigade was called at 3.57pm and the fire was under control by 7.13pm. Fire crews from Acton, Paddington, Richmond, Wandsworth and surrounding fire stations attended the scene.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by the ignition of grease within the the extraction system.

Read more stories on The Chiswick Calendar

See also: Ruth Cadbury protests as her constituents wait more than 28 days to see their GP

See also: London Fire Brigade warns heating fires could soar this winter

See all the latest stories: Chiswick Calendar News & Features

Support The Chiswick Calendar

The Chiswick Calendar CIC is a community resource. Please support us by buying us the equivalent of a monthly cup of coffee (or more, if you insist). Click here to support us.

We publish a weekly newsletter and update the website with local news and information daily. We are editorially independent.

To subscribe to the weekly newsletter, go here.